Friday, April 15, 2011

How It Went Down: April 15, 2011

Tonight I had a mega-interview with Steve Burgess, author of Who Killed Mom? a memoir of his family and particularly his mother Joan. Steve and I both grew up in Brandon so I was very tempted to reminisce about certain places, but for the most part we kept it to the material in the book.

Jazz Winnipeg
announced the line-up for their 2011 Festival today and I'm absolutely stoked about a few of the acts, including Robert Glasper. Be prepared for me to be pimping the shit out of this show (and the Orgone as well) since we're talking about this year's Christian Scott - a jazz artist with only a bit of name recognition but one that you don't want to sleep on.

Here's what I played tonight:

Set One: 6:30 PM - 7 PM

Quantic & his Combo Barbaro - "Undelivered Letter (Daedelus remix)" [Tru Thoughts]
Second Sky - "Under The Line" [Rhythm & Culture]
Matthew Joel - "Eyes Pt. 2" [Bandcamp]
Spirit Children - "Track 3" [Independent]
Heart Failure Research Unit - "Now You're Gone" [Independent]
Thao & Mirah - "How Dare You" [K Records]


Set Two: 7 PM - 7:30 PM

Interview with Steve Burgess

Set Three: 7:30 PM - 8 PM

Robert Glasper - "No Worries" [Blue Note]
Little Scream - "Cannons" [Outside]
Sea Oleena - "Sleeplessness" [Independent]
Trouble & Strife - "My Only Hope" [Independent]

Next week is Good Friday, so it's quite likely the show will be a pre-record so I can spend the day with my family. I'll keep you posted on what'll be on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment